Dota 2 is a free to play game and one of the top esports worldwide. Competitive video games are commonly displayed on our top Canadian betting sites, but we have not only narrowed down the top Esports betting sites for you – we have created a list specifically dedicated to Canadian’s interested in Dota 2 betting.
Best Betting Sites for Dota 2
Exciting Betting FeaturesMust be 19+ to participate, T&Cs apply, Play responsibly: connexontario.caBetMGMPlay Now
Thrilling Sportsbook and Casino FusionMust be 19+ to participate, T&Cs apply, Play responsibly: connexontario.caBetRiversPlay Now
100% Canadian FocusedMust be 19+ to participate, T&Cs apply, Play responsibly: connexontario.caSports InteractionPlay Now
Diverse Bets & Trusted PlatformMust be 19+ to participate, T&Cs apply, Play responsibly: connexontario.caBetwayPlay Now
Great Betting OptionsMust be 19+ to participate, T&Cs apply, Play responsibly: connexontario.caBet365Play Now
Wide Range of Betting OptionsMust be 19+ to participate, T&Cs apply, Play responsibly: connexontario.caBet99Play Now
Quick Payment ProcessingMust be 19+ to participate, T&Cs apply, Play responsibly: connexontario.caBetVictorPlay Now
About Dota 2
It is still difficult for some people to wrap their heads around esports ranking alongside some competitive sports in popularity, but those well versed in the competitive video game scene understand this is a thriving industry and one of the largest growing betting markets over the past few years. Esports organization such as Cloud 9, 100 Thieves, and Liquid are essentially professional sports teams, and the players they sign are professional athletes.
Dota 2 ranks alongside League of Legends as the two most popular esports games in the world. The games share numerous similarities, with two teams of five going head-to-head fighting towards the goal of destroying the other team’s most valuable structure. In Dota 2 this structure is known as the Ancient – deriving from the name of the game which stands for Defence of the Ancients. Characters you control are known as heroes, and you choose one of the 124 unique characters during a pre-match drafting phase.
The first game of the Dota series was released in the 2003, but development for Dota 2 began in 2009 and it was released on steam for Windows, macOS, and Linux products in 2013. It is widely viewed as one of the of the greatest video games of all time, and it is also one of the most lucrative esports. The developing company Valve runs the Dota Pro Circuit consisting of numerous tournaments where teams earn points towards qualifying for the games top event, the International.
How Do You Bet on Dota 2?
This section is designed to prepare you for Dota 2 betting. We show you how to sign up for a betting site, list the top Dota 2 betting markets, explain the basics of Dota 2 gameplay, reveal our esports betting strategies, and provide info on the top Dota 2 events worldwide.
Betting on Dota 2 Step-by-Step Guide
Signing up for a betting site is simple. Just follow the steps below and you will be placing bets on Dota 2 in no time!
- Choose one of the top Dota 2 betting sites listed here.
- Click on the link provided and select the signup option.
- Follow the instruction to create a betting account. Enter in the required personal information such as your name, address, date of birth, etc.
- Once you click sign-up, you should receive a conformation email and have complete access to the sportsbook.
- To place a Dota 2 bet, you must deposit money into the account. Click the deposit button, choose your preferred banking option, and enter in your account information.
- Once you select the amount you wish to deposit, you should receive a confirmation email and notice the money added to your account balance shortly.
- Now you are free to explore the Dota 2 betting markets and place a wager!
Dota 2 Odds and Betting Markets
You may be interested in betting on Dota 2 but unsure what to wager on exactly. To help make your decision easier, here are some of the most popular Dota 2 betting markets.
- Match Winner – This is similar to the moneyline in major sports betting. Simply put, you are betting on which team you believe will win the match.
- Match Handicap – This is similar to the point spread in major sports betting. Lines are set at +1.5 and -1.5, meaning the favourite would have to win by two maps and the underdog would have to lose by one map or win the entire match.
- Kills – There are numerous betting markets involving kills in Dota 2. There is first blood (first team to record a kill), kill races, total kill over/unders, betting on if there will be an ultra-kill (4 kills in a row) a rampage (5 kills in a row) or beyond godlike (over 9 kills in a row), etc.
- Towers – Towers guard lanes that opposing players travel across. You can bet on which team will destroy the first tower or the total towers destroyed in a single match.
- Aegis – Aegis is a reward obtained by killing the neutral creep Roshan. You can bet on the first time to collect the valuable item.
- Barracks – Barracks are the buildings that spawn lane creeps. You can wager on which team will destroy the first Barrack.
- Megacreps – Megacreps are stronger than lane creeps but give less gold and experience when they are eliminated. They begin to spawn once all enemy barracks are destroyed, and you can bet on if they will spawn in the match or not.
Understanding Basic Dota 2 Rules
Dota 2 is an incredibly complex game that has a large skill gap between casual players and professionals. To give you a solid understanding of the game, here are some basics you should be aware of.
Two teams of five compete head-to-head on a single map with the goal of destroying the opposing team’s most valuable structure known as the Ancient. The game begins with a draft where each player selects their character they will control for the match. Players choose from a group of 124 characters known as Heroes. The two main classifications of Heroes are Core and Support. They have basic attacks as well as a minimum of four abilities. Heroes are upgraded by gaining experience as the match progresses and can level up to a maximum of 30. The Ultimate is a heroes most valuable ability and can be used at level 6.
The two-team known as Radiant and Dire have their Ancients based on opposite sides of the map. These bases are connected by three lanes guarded by towers and barracks that spawn minions known as creeps. Neutral creeps also spawn in the Jungle, and one known as Roshan can be killed for competitive advantages. Players obtain gold throughout the match by racking up kills or farming structures and can purchase items at shops throughout the map.
Dota 2 Betting Strategies
Betting on Dota 2 can be complex for those new to esports, so here are some simple strategies we recommend to improve your chances.
- Understand the rules – If you don’t understand the fundamental rules of the game, you won’t be able to profit betting on Dota 2 long term. Knowledge is everything in the betting world, so if you have never played the game, we recommend at least watching a few games on Twitch from some of the games top streamers to gain a basic understanding.
- Research past events – All the data from past events is available online, so do your research and educate yourself on the top teams in the world and which ones have performed historically well at particular events. Recency means a lot in the betting world and for video games specifically with constant updates and meta changes. Betting on team that has been thriving recently is an excellent strategy.
- Keep up to date with team rosters – Rosters are constantly changing in the esports world as teams are quick to react to poor performances. Staying up to date with top organizations and knowing which players you are placing your money on is essential.
- Look for values – Odds are everything in the betting world, and placing bets at odds you believe are favourable is one of the most fundamental things to learn in sports betting. If you just bet on the heavy favourites every time, you aren’t going to profit in the long term, so make sure to mix in a few underdog picks on occasion and always analyze lines before you place a wager. Shopping around on different sportsbooks for the best odds is also a great strategy if you have the time.
Top Dota 2 Events
Dota 2 was developed by the company Valve, who plays host to the largest esports events the game has to offer. They host the Dota 2 Pro Circuit in which teams compete for points to qualify them for the game’s top annual tournament – the International.
The Pro Circuit is broken up into seasons that last approximately a year. Seasons include three sperate tours that include a Reginal League and one Major Tournament. Esports teams qualify for the Major Tournament in each tour by placing well in Reginal Leagues.
The international is funded by an in-game battle pass available for purchase and has reached prize pools as high as $40 million. The top 12 teams in points from the Pro Circuit qualify, as well six additional teams through reginal qualifiers and two teams through the last chance qualifier. The six regions are North America, South America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, China, and Southeast Asia.
Top Dota 2 Betting Sites
You may be aware of the industry leading sportsbooks, but we specialize in providing you the top betting sites for specific markets. Here is a breakdown of our best Dota 2 specific betting sites.
Sports Interaction – Well trusted Dota 2 betting site
One of the most trusted and longstanding sportsbooks in Canada, Sports Interaction has been adapting to new aged betting in recent years, offering a solid esports selection and introducing a mobile app. The sportsbook has a reputation for offering a limited prop betting market and the same is true regarding Dota 2 betting.
Betway – Massive Dota 2 betting market
Betway has an entire page dedicated to competitive video games known as betwayesports. They offer a great Dota 2 market with multiple options past the traditional moneyline wagers. This is book we highly recommend to bettors of all levels of experience, due to their simplistic easy to use website and app design.
888sport – Easy to use Dota 2 betting app
An award-winning brand with a top tier mobile and website design, 888sport has a solid esports betting selection but nothing that stands out above other books past traditional moneyline wagers.
Bet99 – Endless Dota 2 betting options
One of the best Dota 2 sportsbooks you will find, Bet99 goes above and beyond offering one of the strongest esports prop betting markets in the world. You can wager on total kills, total Towers, first Aegis, first Barracks, and much more.
LeoVegas – One of the best Dota 2 betting apps
LeoVegas has become a well-recognized brand in recent years with award-winning mobile app and one of the best live streaming services. They have a solid esports betting selection, but it does not stand out in terms of available props.
How to Choose the Bookmaker?
Choosing the right sportsbook for you can be challenging. To help you out, here are some of the features we valued the most in our ranking process for Dota 2 betting sites specifically.
- Number of Dota 2 markets – When looking for a betting site for a specific sport, you want to have the most options available to you. That’s why we highly value sportsbooks that offer the most Dota 2 prop betting options. This includes total kills, total Towers, first Aegis, and first Barracks.
- Same game parlays – Not all sportsbooks offer the ability to parlay together multiple wagers from one event into a single bet slip. This feature has revolutionized the betting industry, giving you more options that ever before.
- Live streaming – This is one of the more exclusive features in the industry, but if you find a sportsbook that offers it as well as strong betting markets, you should highly consider signing up. Being able to watch exclusive games without paying for expensive streaming services can save you a lot of money.
- Deposit/Withdrawal methods – Betting shouldn’t feel like a second job, so being able to easily deposit and withdrawal your funds using your preferred payment methods is of the utmost importance.
- App and Website design – Being able to place bets quickly and easily on the go with a well-designed mobile apps just makes every easier and improves your overall betting experience. Checkout our list of top Sports betting apps available.
- Customer Service – No matter what industry you are in, things are bound to go wrong at some point. Having a dedicated customer service team at your disposal 24/7 is an excellent feeling.
Dota 2 is not only one the top esports in the world, it also one of the most lucrative. Online betting has exploded in popularity over the past few years, and so has esports, which many recognize as the future of the industry. It’s becoming more difficult to find a sportsbook that does not feature esports as one of their primary betting markets.
We conclude this page by recommending Dota 2 to anyone looking to enter the esports betting scene. Choose from one of our top Esports betting sites and explore all the Dota 2 betting markets they have to offer.
Dota 2 Betting FAQs
Is it legal to bet on Dota 2?
What is the most popular esports league for Dota 2?
What are some of the most common wagers to place on Dota 2?
What are the different regions in the Dota 2 Pro Circuit?
How many players are on a team in Dota 2?
How do you win a Dota 2 match?
About the author:
Ryan is an avid sports betting writer with a big passion for the Toronto Maple Leafs. His expertise in analyzing betting odds combined with his knowledge of sports provides readers with valuable insights. When he’s not analyzing odds or cheering for the Leafs, you’ll find Ryan on the basketball court.